Monday, September 2, 2013

29 Faces Challenge Day 2

In my circles guy faces are few and far between. Not sure if it's because artists are really trying to master the craft of nailing the beautiful female face, or if the male face is less inspiring. Regardless, I find them a challenge and hope to focus a good number of my sketches on the male face.




This image began in my sketchbook because I fell in love with the orange and green of the squash plants in the collage piece. Sadly, when I glued the pieces on, the paper was too thin to keep the toner and much of the beauty rubbed off. Rather than start over, I chose to go with the flow, stay with the same color palate, and embrace the texture. 




I then collaged a background and set off to sketch more of the face. 




After adding some paint, markers, gesso, and slick paint for an outline, I love that I captured the essence of this guy in my 25 minute window. Loose, inquisitive, earthy, my kind of guy, :) For me, if a face looks "face(ish)" I am one step closer to creating faces in my own artistic style rather than seeking perfection of other artists styles. Excellence of Effort is way more important than trying to lock our artistic spirit in a "perfection quest." Let that go...strive for "ISH." 

9 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I really dig the loose, fluid lines. Working quick works well for you!

Unknown said...

Very well said. I will remember your words as I go on my artistic journey. The colors in this piece are wonderful and the face is definitely masculine. Maybe we don't draw male faces, because the we have to learn to draw ears!

Anne said...

Inspiring!! Love the process and such a wonderful outcome.

SLScheibe said...

Wow, I really love your style! It's fun and these are great colors. Super guy face too! I don't do enough of males either. :)

Uuna said...

I like Your teknic and bold lines. It is coming wonderful painting. Great!

Faye said...

Nice recovery. Sometimes our materials don't cooperate, but you certainly saved the day.. This is really nice.

Coreopsis said...

Didn't I respond to this earlier? I thought I did, but in case I didn't, I must say that I really really like this. Such cool colors and textures, making this guy come alive. In general, I think I am more interested in male faces, I think because they tend to have harder edges.....

Very excellent work!

Unknown said...

He's fantastic! Love the colours and I love 'ISH'. Have you seen the children's book titled 'ISH'? Jeanette House talks about it in her 100ish Paintings Challenge over on One Little House. It's fabulous! xx

itsamistry said...

He's fab I love the mixed media. I'm not very good at drawing faces and have only managed female faces.