Sunday, January 10, 2010

Turning a Page

Pulling up to the gallery downtown I opened the car door and felt the sting of a cold winter day bite my cheeks and it made me feel alive and frigid all at the same time. That, it seems, is a metaphor for how I feel moving into a new year, of art, of health, and of life. 

This past year was one of many changes to say the least. I won't go into the juicy details here, you can read my previous posts to catch up on all that has transpired, but I will give credit to a long year of growth, illness, triumphs, love, and much hilarity. I thank God for it all, but especially the hilarious parts, they are what keeps me sane.

Artistically speaking I have much to look forward to and to decide. I have always been one to paint what inspired me in the moment, out of sheer spontaneity, and there is something to be said for that freedom. It reminds me of a child who whimsically walks through life and follows his senses into a world with no compass, just being, and creating, and loving life. At some point though that child needs to grow a little, and gain more of a focus as to why certain colors inspire him, why certain textures feel better than others, and why certain forms of creativity just come easier than others. The questions must be asked and attempted to answer, and so I find myself at that point, going from chapter one into the next, with blank pages ahead of me.

I won't lie, it feels exciting, really almost to the point of giddiness at times, and I will go out on a limb and say I don't trust that. I like the way that feels, but due to many years of feeling comfortable in my skin, only to have the skin peeled off in layers, I always look for the other shoe to drop, or in my case the predictable chaos that usually follows me. I wouldn't know what to do with a year without that, one that goes 'as it should', and I don't know if it even exists, but I have to hope it does. I believe the big guy upstairs wants that as well, I just find that belief a challenge to hold on to sometimes. 

So where will life take me? I hope it takes me down a road where doors are opened and I am able to pin down the children's book that has  floated around in my head for years. I hope it takes me into an artistic place where the art I create really moves people to feel, to experience great emotion, and learn to love the beauty in life, despite what their world surrounds them with. I hope I continue to be bold enough to share my faith through my art, even when it is looked down upon by some and I hope that somehow I am able to make a difference in the lives of children, those that I hold most sacred on the planet we share. 

I pray, no matter what is thrown at me, that I will continue to embrace joy, and insane optimism, which is no easy task. My family has always played a huge role in my ability to stay positive and I trust this year will be no different. And on a humorous note, I hope at least one painting this year will make someone burst into laughter, for no other reason than it reminded them of their childhood.




Save the world? No, not on my agenda. Save my spirit and share the love and gifts God has blessed me with with a beautiful world? That I can do. So follow me if you choose, as I turn the page and walk onto a blank canvas, then watch the colors start to flow and we will both see what masterpiece life has in store to paint! And better yet, paint your own and share it with me, that, friends, will make the true meaning of art come full circle for me and I would be honored to share it with you! Peace friends! 

If you follow me on my fanpage at Facebook the you may have read that I am doing a study this year to compare master painters from different centuries. I have started with Jan van Eyck and Hans Holbein the Younger. If art history interests you look me up at The Artwork of Ardith Goodwin and join in on the discussion.



Here are a few pieces I created over the past years. Thank God for 2009, raise a glass in honor of it, and cheer on the one to come!


 


 

 
 

No comments: