Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Simple Tip - Use Your Non-Dominant Hand

As I teach young ones each day I pay close attention to the process they use to create art, especially the intuitive process. Because my grades span from 3-6, I pick up on the distinct difference of a young child creating from pure imagination to the older child wanting to get it right and asking, "Does this look good?" In a very short time span kids seem to really lose the ability to create with reckless abandon and by the time the child has grown and become an adult, many of us lock ourselves into the notion of "I can't draw, I can't make that, I can't, I can't, I can't..." 

Giving ourselves permission to create without any expectations whatsoever, to simply play with our marks, our color, our lines, is VITAL for the artist. If only the child in our adult bodies was given permission. My
#simpletip  of the day is to create something with your non dominant hand! Let go of expectations and play with your paints. Get back in touch with that part of you who's artistic voice was at one time.... POWERFUL! By using your non-dominant hand it forces you to give up control and simply let the line, pattern, and mark evolve. If you are really feeling your inner child, use your fingers too, :) 

These abstracts were made by my 3rd graders in our study of Kandinsky. They amaze me with the power of their artistic voice and I so pray that I will help them hold on to it for as long as possible. 











No comments: