Wednesday, September 4, 2013

29 Faces Challenge Day 4

Sketching throughout a magazine, especially when the cover has such juicy color or pattern, is one of my favorite ways to recycle and practice my craft. I was drawn to the red and pattern of this cover and decided it would make a unique 'flesh' for the face I would sketch. The clock was set for 8 minutes and I was off. 



I sketched the male face with a Uniball Needle fine liner then painted the negative space to bring out the form. Sketching fast and loose makes me let go of control and allow the shapes to flow more freely. Male faces are becoming a favorite of mine as well as this challenge! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave a comment for this challenge, that means a lot! 
Click HERE to view all of the faces in this series

12 comments:

Faye said...

Wow, this is so good, Ardith. I have never seen a unibal needle fine liner. This seems to be a great technique.

Uuna said...

This is wonderful, amaising painting!! I love this interesting painting. You have got to this so artistic and individual shape and colors.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I love the drawing all on its own, but on top of the magazine cover, it is truly awesome. What a great idea ~ love it!

SLScheibe said...

Fantastic! I think the pattern is just awesome as a flesh tone. It really adds a funky factor to your cool line art.

Unknown said...

I like the concept and it turned out great!

Peggy@ColorMoiMandalas said...

Interesting composition! Did I read correctly you set a timer?

Peggy@ColorMoiMandalas said...

Interesting composition, and you used a timer.

Anne said...

Wonderful piece and love your idea of recycling.

Anonymous said...

I like your faces. They do have something special that strikes me.

Anonymous said...

Such a neat idea! I love this face!

Coreopsis said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love the brilliant color/pattern of it, with such a simple drawing over it.

Ardith Goodwin said...

Set a timer with this one too! I do love how this turned out...makes me want to design papers to use in these projects.