Monday, December 31, 2012

May You Be Uplifted!


Closing a chapter and starting fresh is something I always look forward to and this year, in light of what turned out to be a whopper of a year, the beginning of 2013 has been even more important to me. Now, I am not one for resolutions, in fact, I tend to avoid them like the plague because I start with a bang and end...shortly there after...with a bust, so this year I decided to embrace what many of my friends where choosing to do.....following one word.

At first I thought that would be easy, but of course, the wordsmith in me just couldn't land on one. Nope, I had pages written, phrases, mantras, ideas, poems, oh, it got to be ridiculous so I put my pencil down, gave room for my spirit to be surrounded by peace, and listened. I listened for HIM to guide me, listened for my heart to reveal what really was most important, and listened for the word I was meant to live to find me....and it did. Uplift....it was as if my spirit was lifted the minute I heard the word and I knew, like I am breathing, that UPLIFT was the word my heart would dance around.

As I sat there considering how Uplift would be my focus I once again calmed my excitement and listened. This is what I heard:

I will UPLIFT others.
I will UPLIFT others in prayer, not just words, but actual, time invested prayer for them.
I will UPLIFT others by sharing kindness, extraordinary, unexpected kindness.
I will UPLIFT others by supporting those through illness or trauma with my time and encouragement.
I will UPLIFT others by sharing beauty with them through my art and words.
I will UPLIFT others by sharing my gifts of art through teaching, mentoring, and leadership.
I will UPLIFT others by loving them with gentle strength, deep commitment, and compassion.
I will UPLIFT others by taking risks in doing what I fear, sharing my faith, and being lovingly bold.
I will UPLIFT others by embracing and loving my neighbor as myself.
I will UPLIFT others.

There have been moments of confusion in my life and then, there have been beautiful moments of perfect clarity, and today was filled with those moments. I know who I am, I know what my gifts are, and most importantly, I know how I am to use them. Mark making in 2013 will be filled with those of UPLIFTING for others, and in this, I will be true to myself and my faith.

I am so looking forward to the journey of this new year, what it holds for me and you, and how art will be celebrated. For today, I lift a glass in thanks and gratitude for you, my friends, who walk this journey with me and make it worth every step. Peace Friends may my efforts UPLIFT you in some way this year!

8 comments:

Terri said...

Perhaps you are focusing on doing these consciously? Because, my friend, you already do this effortlessly!! ♥ Happy New Year!

Ardith Goodwin said...

Thank you, but yes, with great intent and effort on my part. Glad to know I am on the right path for sure! Happy New Year friend, I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hello Ardith Goodwin, thank you for accepting me into your community. I wish you a happy new year 2013, Happiness, Peace, Love, and your family too!

Fathia Nast, painter and poet Moroccan.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're well on your way to having a marvelous year! They say when we take focus off ourselves, the world seems brighter, cheerier, and happier despite any chaos we may be experiencing in our own lives. Here's to a wonderful 2013!

Ardith Goodwin said...

Thank you Fathia and Alyice you are so right, focusing on others is a pathway to serenity I think. I just have such a passion for sharing kindness these days, at least to the best of my ability. Looking forward to where that leads. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and comment, makes my day!

ZenziB said...

Ardith, You have already started! Uplift is a beautiful word - thank you for focusing on it. Makes me feel, well, uplifted!

Introverted Art said...

Ardith, just found your blog through FB :) Loving every bit of it.

Ardith Goodwin said...

So glad to see new faces here and thank you for taking the time to view/read my work. Connecting with other creatives is a must for me and I am glad to have that connection with all of you!