Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Acrylic Skins and Paper Collage

Oh, I have found my love, the blend of acrylics and collage and paper! I have been teaching a mixed media class this past month and acrylic skins was on the agenda. Now skins are great fun, lots you can do with them, especially if you make them thick to pull in full sheets. But, of course I had to throw a challenge in there and decided for my own work, I wanted to push the envelope and see if I could get the thinnest skins possible because I wanted to work small and possibly on paper.

Made a total mess on plexiglass using fluid acrylics and Golden Gel Medium.




For the skins I use, you have to peel them with a razor blade to get them ultra thin, be careful with that step. 
Yes, it can be done, really, really thin skins, and it is LABOR INTENSIVE I tell ya, but the results are amazing.

Mr. Fantastic - 6" by 6" by 2.25" on canvas


Ardithian Sonbird 6" by 6" by 2.25" on canvas


Sunday Preacher - 6" by 6" by 2.25" on canvas


As I really think about this process several things come to mind. Normally, most left over acrylic paint would be discarded. I am all about salvaging stuff, paper, ephemera, photos, trash, etc. This is one more way I can be a good steward of art supplies. It also reminds me of human souls. Many are neglected, discarded, forgotten, but all have beauty in some shape or form within them. I like to think of these collages as capturing the soul of what could be. 


I will be teaching a similar technique in several upcoming workshops beginning in January too! Stay tuned for details! You can view this new series at Art(ology) Gallery and Gifts in Mobile. 




3 comments:

Jami Buck said...

Okay, this one I've got to take. What a great class to help me through the doldrums of January and get me back into collage. You rock, girl!

Unknown said...

This is so unique....I love it! What an inventive way to use a common supply! Love it!

Ardith Goodwin said...

Jami, I look forward to you joining me! Regan, these are way too much fun. It is much easier if you use freezer paper and more gel medium, but I love the challenge of using a razor blade to slice between the layers. Crazy, but great.