Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Painting Steps in creating an abstract!





Step One: Drawing in the image
I draw out the design using a grey, Derwent watercolor pencil. I then begin adding watercolor to the individual shapes, creating blends as I feel like.I prefer to use Holbein because of the intense colors, but also use
Van Goh and Winsor Newtons. I chose a 140lb. cold press paper and cut it to a 5" by 7" size.


Step Two: Adding in more color
I continue adding in more color, choosing colors that balance off one another and trying to place them in shapes opposite one another.




Step Three: Adding more color and depth
As the image evolves, I continue to add more color and work in glazes to give the shapes depth and contrast.



Step Four: Completion of adding watercolor
I add the final bit of watercolor, checking the composition for changes or additions that need to be made before the outlining step.




Step Five: Completion
I added a thin, black outline to give the painting a completed, graphic quality and make the shapes and colors pop off the page. All I have to do now is decide which direction it should hang!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks good mom i like it peace out!